Friday, September 11, 2015

For research and a little fun

We finally made it to the Laytown Strand Races yesterday. This is a one day event, always held the second Thursday of September...yesterday.

I posted some photos on my blog, Heart Shaped Stones, for anyone interested.

The research bit is for a new project I'm working on (watch this space!) and of course, horses racing on the beach is pretty fun.

The Laytown Strand Races was founded in 1867, with the first recorded race in 1868. Documents show that it was held in conjunction with the Drogheda Regatta. Boats raced at high tide, then horse racing at low tide.

This is the Turf Club sanctioned beach race in Ireland *and* England, so it's a pretty special affair, which brought out a wife variety of characters.

I hope you enjoy the photos. I'd love to hear from you if you've attended a Laytown race. Find me on Facebook and Twitter.

Bettystown Strand
3 miles of golden sand beach, stretching from
Laytown through Bettystown to Mornington on the Co Meath coast