Tuesday, February 09, 2010

I'm humbled beyond belief!!!

Satisfying Irish Romance , February 5, 2010
Wilma G. Walter
5 Stars
.
Kemberlee Shortland has worked many wonderful elements into her novel, A Piece of My Heart.
.
The novel begins with a great hook that introduces us to the major conflict between Kate and Mick, the central characters. Add the lovely Connemara setting, a shady character who provides some truly suspenseful moments, Molly the Border Collie (I dare you to *not* fall in love with her!), elements of family history, a tart with a wicked Dublin accent, some ancient Irish magic and you get a very satisfying, well-paced romantic story.
.
When I sit down with a romance, I'm always curious about how the author will write the love scenes. Ms. Shortland didn't disappoint me in this arena, either. I've got to say that A Piece of My Heart contains perhaps the sweetest love scene I've ever read. There's a lovely balance between the physical intimacy and all of the emotions swirling around it. So many authors come close to achieving that balance, but fall short. Ms. Shortland gets it right. I'm sure I'll turn to those pages again and again when I need a bit of that sweetness in my day. I look forward Mick and Kate's follow-up story, to see what Ms. Shortland has in store for them.
.
Willie,
I can't thank you enough for such kind words. I've had to read and reread it several times to be sure it was ME you were talking about and not someone else. Reviews like this are meant for the likes of those on the NY Times best seller list. Not little old me! I can't tell you how humbled I am. Thank you SO much!!! If you were standing here now I'd give you a big hug and a kiss...to hell with what the neighbors think ;-)
.
~Kemberlee